We’re looking for a Combat Scripter to help design and build an awesome AAA-quality cinematic shooter for next-generation platforms. Key to this position is a deep understanding of third-person character control & shooting combat mechanics, vehicle gameplay, enemy AI design, enemy class design, weapon systems, and character skills & player progression.
The ideal designer would also have a strong passion for story and a firm understanding in aligning a game’s narrative with gameplay systems and mechanics.
- Envision, design and execute combat systems and enemy designs in Unreal Engine 4.
- Prototype, evolve and balance moment-to-moment gameplay.
- Build and maintain AI systems.
- Collaborate with gameplay system engineers and fellow designers on new features.
- Research and explore meaningful and narratively-relevant ways to benefit combat, movement, weapons, game meta and enemy abilities, often by developing unique approaches and design systems.
- Perform gameplay reviews, garner feedback and plan for next steps.
What we're looking for in a candidate
- Strong technical design skills and experience with Unreal Engine 4.
- Proficiency in Blueprint and C++.
- Expert understanding of various game type intricacies including third-person combat and exploration.
- Experience shipping at least one well-known interactive title in the combat design role.
- An uncanny ability to ‘sell the room’ on your game design proposals and initiatives through imagery and verbal skills, pitching such concepts in a clear manner.
- Detail-oriented and able to break down problems logically and thoughtfully.
- Accustomed to rapid iteration and constant testing.
- Calm, upbeat and professional attitude working with multiple deadlines.
- Avid gamer with a love for dreaming up worlds and experiences to discover and explore.
- Great collaborator who can communicate effectively.
- Passion for character-driven action entertainment as a whole. Inspiration for amazing gameplay can be found in stories from various mediums including films, television, books, comics, etc.
- BA or BS degree in CS or a relevant field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in Unreal Engine.
This is a full-time position to start immediately based in our North Los Angeles office. Our team is very careful in regards to COVID-19 and is currently working remotely until further notice.
We greatly value camaraderie, team spirit and talent. We’re not into excessive crunching or the typical AAA grind. Been there, done that. We do provide a fully-stocked kitchen, periodic company outings, a bonus plan, a family-style atmosphere and an exceptional benefits package.
Send your resume and a brief cover letter to:
Rogue Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.